Below are the Conditions we have the Most Expertise in Treating
Dr. MacMIillan has a great deal of experience treating muscle and joint problems from head to toe. This includes Postural Issues, Lack of Flexibility/Stiffness, Strained or Tight Muscles, Joint Stiffness & Sprains, Balance & Coordination issues.
- Back Pain & Stiffness: Most issues are joint, muscle, ligament, disc, nerve related. The source must be identified and then any potential contributing factors tested such as core muscle function/imbalances, hip/back/rib flexibility, breathing among others.
- Neck Pain & Stiffness: Also usually related to joint, muscle, ligament, disc, or nerve. Common issues with neck problems are breathing from the neck muscles, posture, holding excess tension, neck instability from injuries such as whiplash.
- Shoulder Injuries and Mobility Problems: Your shoulder relies heavily on the position and motion of your shoulder blade. This must be assessed in all shoulder issues in addition to breathing and rib mobility, which have a large impact on shoulder blade health. These areas must be addressed along with the main source of shoulder pain, which must also be addressed whether it be tendon, muscle or nerve related.
- Hip Injuries and Mobility Problems: While the shoulder often suffers from instability the hip more commonly lacks mobility, which must be addressed in addition to assuring pelvis, lower back, and core/breathing control are functioning properly. Foot issues can be another source of hip problems (knees to a lesser extent)
- Knee Problems: when knees start to develop problems (except in sudden twists etc...) it is generally an issue above or below: (hip/pelvis/back), and/or feet/ankles which are not functioning well to add excess stress to the knees.
- Ankle & Foot: (Ankle Sprains, Balance & Mobility Issues): Ankle issues are a very common cause of problems all the way through the body. Your ankle/foot is your first point of contact with the ground and has to absorb force and allow motion.
- Elbow movement issues and pain (i.e. tennis or golfers elbow): It is key to check the joints above and below the elbow (wrist, shoulder, neck) along with local problems at the elbow.
- Wrist Complaints: (clicking, movement issues, pain, tendinitis).
- Repetitive Strain Injuries (i.e. Tendonitis, carpal Tunnel): Repetitive movements can cause certain tissues to develop thickenings and other issues. It is key to assess the activities and movements throughout the body to be sure there is no other area contributing to the excessive strain.
- Headaches: many headaches originate from the muscles and joints of the neck into the head. Common issues include upper/mid back postural/movement problems, breathing issues, forwad neck posture, neck injuries/weakness/instability.
- Sports Injuries: Extensive experience with all sorts of sports injuries. Especially recurring injuries in hamstrings, shoulders, groin, lower back and more
- Arthritis: I can work on improving movement in the joint and surrounding muscles and guide you towards proper exercise to slow the progression and reduce pain
- Numbness + Tingling + Radiating pain into the legs and/or arms: Normally caused by nerve compression (need to look at blood flow in all cases as well)
- Breathing Issues: Shortness of breath, Snoring, Sleep Apnea, Rib Stiffness and Pain. Improving rib motion, diaphragm muscle activity and breathing habits can have a huge impact on all these issues (Must check for other issues with the heart and lungs to rule them out in many cases)
- TMJ/Jaw Issues: Jaw muscles can become very overactive for numerous reasons (stress, poor muscle activity or injuries in the neck or lower back/core, and from a host of dental problems, which may need to be addressed in conjunction with a dental professional). TMJ and headaches can often come together and often for overlapping reasons.